Our new parish is St. Peter’s in Steubenville.
This parish was founded in 1832 by French Dominican missionaries and this is the third church built on this property. Church of St. Peter was built in 1905-1907. The French Rennaisance style building dominates the Steubenville skyline, having to lofty towers and a central dome. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Main altar with John Paul II behind.
The aisle is 75 feet long. The dome is 95 feet high.
One of the most outstanding features is the 15 windows depicting the mysteries of the Rosary (the mysteries in the life of Jesus & Mary). They were made in 1907 in Munich, Germany for this church and brought in the containers with molasses.
All the marble altars, statues, and communion rail came from Italy when the church was built. The high altar was paid for by the school children with pennies, nickels and dimes. The new altar of sacrifice is also from Italy. It was placed here in St. Peter Church in 1979 when the church was restored.
The organ was built by the Austin Organ Company of Hartford, CT in 1927 and restored to its original form in 1988.